Thursday 24 June 2010

I like driving in my car...

...even though I am relying heavily on my sat nav and been sent to the wrong destination twice this week. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a dirty Simon Cowell talking one so
have had to make do with a normal one. The very helpful man in the store pointed out that I could set the voice to an english accent so I could understand it (?) so now I have 'Serena' to tell me off when I've gone wrong.

Now we have the car we have been able to venture out to the large store which thankfully is a bit cheaper than the one we were previously using. It's called 'Stop and Shop' and I love it mainly because it had an 'english' section in the same way it has an 'asian' and an 'italian' section. I actually stood in front it looking at the stuff and my eyes filled with tears. I never thought I'd be so happy to see a jar of Branston pickle. Icame away with Heinz Baked Beans, Heinz Tomato soup, Branston pickle, HP, Ambrosia rice pudding, jaffa cakes and two milky bars. They even had Bird's custard powder, Robinson's lemon squash, Hartley's jam, Hob Nobs and rich tea biscuits!! They also had some rather unusual stuff that I can only assume that
americans have been told that english people like - random bread making mix and spotted dick. The sad thing is that I've
not touched my jaffa cakes yet as I'm just enjoying looking at them.

Paul has been nagging me as I forgot something on my last blog which should have been mentioned. Paul did some DIY. Yes, you read that correctly. Paul did some DIY (Alex and Pete - you can now stop laughing and pick yourselves off the floor) Paul took his friend Steve to our
equivalent of Homebase and came back with four curtain poles and a drill. Paul seemed quite confident about approaching this new challenge and I just smiled politely. After this initial enthusiasm, the drill and poles stayed on the table for a couple of weeks until we finally decided to tackle the job. I must say, Paul did very well (bless) even though I was nearly sick when I was holding the (step) ladder. All four poles are very straight and haven't fallen down yet...

We had a lovely time watching the football yesterday with the NY posse. Katie kindly invited us round, Elaine made St George cupcakes and I took along the english napkins. I've also enjoyed watching Wimbledon this week (I'll cheer for Murray even if you rest of you won't) even though I've had to put up with John McEnroe's brother Patrick commentating. Is he also a tennis player, I wonder?? I must say, they were all very excited about the Queen's visit today and I found out from Roger Federer that Queen had cheese instead of strawberries and cream. I mean, at Wimbledon! Goodness me, that made them all chuckle.







2 comments:

  1. Sorry - the computer was doing some VERY random things so gave up with the whole photo thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So no evidence of Paul's DIY then? How convenient!!
    One of the benefits of living in wooden houses should be that even Paul can put something on the wall with at least 50% chance of it staying up.
    Funny that he nagged you to blog about it - he didn't mention it face-to-face last week. Probably didn't want to see my reaction for himself.
    See you soon,
    Alex.

    ReplyDelete