Thursday 5 August 2010

Sweaty Betty

Well it's all a bit Sweaty Betty here at the mo - the last thermometer check showed 101 degrees. My delicate 'english rose' complexion is taking a bit of a battering as it is constantly being smothered in 50plus factor suncream. Now this may be a positive in terms of sun protection but unfortunately doesn't allow the skin to 'breathe'. Hence, I end up walking around with a permanent halo of sweat forming around my hairline and running down my neck. Clearly this is not a good look and a total contrast to the matt, groomed appearances usually in show in Garden City.

Since we returned from the UK, I've been working hard on my mini-project called 'Challenge - Find Some American Friends'. It's been going rather well so far and I'm pleased to report that I went out on Tuesday evening with my new friend. Yes, just the two of us and we had a lovely dinner, thank you very much. OK, my new friend is Australian not American but has been in the US for a long time (but is also new to the area) We've also been next door for a BBQ with the neighbours and been chatting to a few people at the pool. So the project is still work in progress but going well.

Boy Wonder had now started at his little pre-school on a Monday and Friday morning and so far has come back exhausted from each session. Hopefully he can develop his 'sharing skills' a bit as well as continuing to bring home the best art work ever seen for his proud M and D. So good, in fact, that I made a special trip to ikea earlier to buy lots of colourful frames to display his masterpieces. Sam sent me a link the other day to a story about a seven year old boy who sold some of his paintings for 150,000 pounds so maybe that's how BW will find his fortune.

People are already making plans to come over next year so if you are thinking of coming at some point let me know as soon as you can. Joanna and Sara are already booked to come over by cruise next August - how exciting!! I'd love to come by cruise at some point. Maybe I can convince Paul to bring BW back on the plane and I'll join them five days later... I've recently discovered that our local mall is the fifth largest in the US (not quite sure how I didn't notice this before last Friday!) and is full of all the shops that you find in the city, including Bloomingdales, Macy's, JCPenney, Anthropologie (Joe - can you believe how excited I was?) So those of you who do stay may have to leave just a little extra space in your luggage for goodies home...



1 comment: