Friday 5 November 2010

It's not called the Fall for nothing, you know...

Slippers. Blankets. Cups of tea with nice biscuits. Favourite pair of jeans. Duvets. Woolly socks. All of these things make me feel comfortable. Not just comfortable in a 'sitting on a comfy chair' type of way, but comfortable in a 'I am at one with the world' type of way. It's rather odd, as I didn't realise that I missed that feeling until I had it back, if that makes sense. As you can probably tell, I am in the middle of 'guest season' and it's made me think of home a bit more than usual. It has been lovely to spend time with people who sometimes know me better than myself. And also, as much as I am loving getting to know my new friends better, it's nice to be back with people where I don't feel I need to be on my best behaviour. And there are some things that can only be shared with friends that you've had for 26 years...
However, having my friends and family over has given me a new burst of energy in settling down in Garden City, which has been likened to Stepford and the town in the Truman Show by my guests over the last two weeks. I've taken my first step in becoming American and signed Boy Wonder and myself up for 'Mommy and Me' group starting next Wednesday and also put BW's name down for preschool starting next September. My friend, Katherine, and I went to do a visit together and it felt great to escape without the children, even for a couple of hours!!
Our guests have been a first time New Yorker, here to do all the main sights, old time New Yorkers and my m and d, who are first time New Yorkers but whose main priority is family time - so a nice mix. Having Sira here was a perfect opportunity to do a 'TV/Movie Location' bus tour, which was great fun but would have been more beneficial if I watched 'Gossip Girl'. I spent most of the time writing down addresses on my iphone so I could tell future guests where all the locations were. What we did learn is that the owner of the Huxtables house from the Cosby Show is a very nice chap who lets you sit on the steps and have your photo taken. Whereas the lady who lives in Will Smith's house in 'I am Legend' is a miserable old mare who has boarded up her lower windows and added a big gate. When I was with Sira I had my picture taken with one of those half naked teenage chaps ('boys' makes it sound sooooo wrong) at the front of Abercrombie and Fitch. Quite clearly that was just for Sira's benefit, not mine. At all. Not even a little bit.
It was a good job that Sara and Pete bought a fantastic selection of English goodies over in their case to make room for the large amount of shopping they took back. I think I impressed them with my cooking skills but it's a good job they didn't stay longer as I used up all of my four recipes... Tom and Boy Wonder did Trick or Treating USA stylee and had a lovely time, although Sara was rather disappointed that Paul didn't wear his Halloween head boppers.

I'm also 'feeling the love' from across the pond at the moment. Not one, but two, tickets for Take That next year (oh yes) so I just HAVE to come back for a short girlie few days in July. But the best thing, the really nicest, loveliest thing, was that Jane took Paul and I to Al's 40th bd party, in the form of large photos stuck on sticks (a scary thought, I know) so I got to snog the bd boy after all, as well as some of my other favourite men and a few newbies. It had the result that I was able to look at Al's photos and smile and laugh, instead of cry because I wanted to be there. Thank you Janey xxxx
As far as I know, our 'photo heads' are heading their way to the Lake District for another 40th bd event (that's you, Phil) and from that point on, will be available for birthdays, weddings and Bar Mitzvahs...

5 comments:

  1. You're guests of honour thanks to Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thinking I might need a life-size cardboard cutout for hugs... x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love and miss you all xxx Mum and Dad.tell your future visitors that the JFK rail/LIrr link is easy quick and worked very well.xxx

    ReplyDelete