Thursday 22 April 2010

Shaft

New York is one of those places when you can turn a corner and a sight or a sound can make you think 'wow'. Sometimes it's 'wow that's beautiful', sometimes it's 'wow that's amazing' and sometimes it's 'wow that's uber cool'. And I had one of those moments the other day. The sun was blazing and I'd just been watching them remove the ice-rink at the Rockafeller centre ready for summer. I turned towards 5th Avenue and a car pulled up caught in traffic. It was a massive black car with black windows and had the theme tune from the 70s New York cop film 'Shaft' blaring out. It had some of those flashing lights that pulsed in time with the music. Even Boy Wonder had a little dance. The music and the location made me think, 'wow, that's uber cool.'

Today though I had a morning where I thought, 'wow, that's pretty shite,' and I'm still recovering. My plan was to brave the subway alone for the second time and head down to the Children's Museum of the Arts so Boy Wonder could join in with the 'Wee Arts Exploration Group'. I was queuing for my ticket and worrying that the subway was still really busy even though it was gone 9.30am, which is the time I've been told not to even both trying to get on a train with the stroller. I paid for my ticket and then tried to work out how to get through the turnstile. There was a wide door for wheelchairs and then a row of turnstiles. The last time, I was shown how to swipe the card at the turnstile next to the wide door, push the bar round as if you were walking through and then you could open the wide door. This time though, the five turnstiles next to the door were all 'exit' ones with streams of people heading my way. While I was working out how to open the door, someone came through the wide door and held it open for me so I went through.

As soon as I was through I was approached by two police officers. The lady cop asked for my ticket to check it so I gave it to her and she went off. I stood having a very nice chat with the man cop about the subway and times when it gets less busy. Then the lady cop came back with my ticket and asked to see my ID. I showed her my UK driving license and my US bank card which also has photo ID on. She kept these and asked where I lived and I told her and she asked again if I had more ID so I said I had my passport in the apartment but nothing else on me. She then told me that I could be arrested for not having any New York ID with me and went off again to talk on her walkie talkie.

At this point, I still wasn't too sure about what I had done wrong but I was starting to panic as I had images of being thrown in a cell with lots of rough, tough women and Boy Wonder being addicted to crack by teatime. She came back again and told me that my driving license would have to do, even though her boss had told her not to accept it, but basically to count myself lucky to be given a summons when she should be arresting me. Now, those of you who know me well can imagine I was having a sort of public nervous breakdown at this point as I assumed a summons meant I was being taken off to court. She completed the form (which took quite a while because I could hardly speak) and she wrote on the summons that I had 'entered through the exit gate to avoid legal payment of fare'. I tried to point out that I had paid for my ticket to which she replied that 'may or may not be the case'. I said that we could go to the booth where I got it but she said that was irrelevant as I didn't swipe my card. In hindsight, I can see that now but at the time I felt so mortified that they were saying I hadn't paid at all. Then another lady cop came over, and again the first cop went on about my lack of ID and how I should be arrested and the second cop pointed out that my UK license is fine as if they went to the UK then they would only have their US licenses. It looks like I just got unlucky with a jobsworth as she just said again how she was doing me a favour as her boss told her not to accept it.

They handed me my summons - which is a $100 payment within two weeks - and I asked to be shown how to get back out as all I wanted to do was to get back home and have a good sob. She then asked me why I wasn't going on to my destination, to which I snivelled a very British, 'I just want to go home for a cup of tea.' So there. That told her.

Paul rang the number on the top of the summons for some clarification on the whole ID thing and apparently the lady cop was talking nonsense and I have a number in case I want to complain. To be honest, I realise I was in the wrong and would just rather pay the thing and forget about it. But does that mean I'll be letting them win?? Should I be standing up for the small people??? Either way, I don't care as I was totally distraught about the whole experience. It took me forever to recover from getting my first and only three points on my UK driving license and this is much worse!!! I have just re-read what I've written above and I haven't conveyed even a quarter of how scary it was.

Shaft.
Shafted.
Whatever.

14 comments:

  1. Oh darling! The wankers : ( I hope your cuppa helped you get over the shock can't believe they were so rude to you. Would also suggest a large slice of cake as long as you don't have to get on the subway for Magnolia?
    Lots of love and a biiiiig hug x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhh, was feeling all sympathetic but now can't convey it sincerely because Hattie's comment made me laugh. Yes, WANKERS! What a lovely English word that says it all :0) Technically I can see that no swipey means no pay but it's a side-step from common sense when you are trying to get through with a buggy. DO NOT let them get away with it. You are gonna have to find your inner brass ones to deal with the natives or they'll eat you for breakfast. Plus she probably hadn't had any for ages and needed a power trip to feel worthwhile. We had a gun on us in Washington cos Neil treated a stop sign like a give way... they are all power crazy. Anyway, love you, it's not you, it's them. xx P.s. now I can nail you for the spelling of licence as you referred to a 'UK license' which is definitely a licence. I refrained when you referred to the US license as technically, to them, it's correct.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You'll both be pleased to know I cheered myself up with pic'n'mix from Toys R Us.

    She did have a gun on her - good job she didn't get it out or I probably would have wet myself! I was wearing black so maybe I could have got away with it and blamed the smell of wee on Boy Wonder!!!

    Sam - am going to continue to annoy your further by mixing up lots of UK/US spellings. So there.xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let Tyler take the rap.Deportation iminant(is that right)...Dad...xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Let Tyler take the rap,deportation iminant?(is that right)...Dad...xxx.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dad - no that's not right. It wasn't right the first time you sent it either
    ;-)

    Paul bought home Magnolia bakery cupcakes. Woo hooo!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Louise this sounds awful. If I was you I would complain (but I do enjoy complaining). I have a friend out here who went back home to London for Xmas and was almost arrested when she was trying to make a u turn after realising she was driving the wrong way down a one way street. When she explained to the police that she had 2 children in the car and that it was just a mistake they threatened to call child protective services on her! In the end they let her go with a warning saying she should think her self lucky!!
    You seem to be fitting in out there anyway, getting a rap sheet!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I will go to back of class and serve detention up the pub...Dad...xxx.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Louise, Hi, Paul sent me your blog link hope you don't mind. I am seething for you and your bad experience yesterday. The Yanks treat their own just the same. My cousin's wife in Boulder, CO, Denver, was driving to work very early one frosty morning in a hurry and a cop pulled her over stating that her windscreen wasn't properly cleared. When she started to challenge him because it was clear, he pushed her onto the bonnet of the car, spread eagled her arms and legs and searched her. He was probably looking for the de-icer spray. She's a big gal and he never found it. He probably came from the village called Mankers!

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG! Just managed to get online and read this. What a nightmare!! The whats whys and wherefores in the US are a minefield! Poor you! Hope you are okay now?
    We are home now - got back today - are all very very tired but its good to be back!
    Much love babe and Skype soon!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'd get Mrs L to complain on your behalf if I were you. You'd probably end up with a public apology on the front page of the New York Post, a share of her pension fund and a free go on her Tazer.

    Or you'd be deported - it's a fine line when Jane starts complaining about stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You poor thing, that's terrible. I would have definately wet myself, so you should be proud that you didnt! You would think they had better things to do with their time. hope you are now fully recovered xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for all your support everyone. I'm thinking of starting a campaign in the style of 'Free Deidre' complete with t-shirts and everything.

    Judging by what everyone says who Paul and I have spoken to, it seems I just got unlucky.

    Gilly - am still laughing about the de-icer!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ah Louise! You were in the wrong place at the wrong time, but you should definitely complain!! Otherwise it could happen to you again.....
    xxx

    ReplyDelete