Thursday 1 April 2010

Here comes the sun!!

We have blue sky! Tuesday was the first day that we stayed in all day as the weather was horrendous. The wind was howling all night and the rain was trashing against the lounge window. All very dramatic. Yesterday we finally left the apartment and met Paul so we could go off and get my birthday pressie. Woo hoo! I also went to the busiest shop in the whole wide world ever - the M & M store- as I was on a mission for a friend (you know who you are!) I had no idea people would be so excited about chocolate. People were queueing to stand in a machine that would scan them and tell them their 'M & M' mood to tell them what colour to buy. Yes, they were actually queueing!!!!!

As you can imagine, it gets very busy here and navigating the crowds successfully is a talent. Navigating the crowds successfully with a buggy is an art form. I'm starting to get very cross with large groups of tourists who seem to gather on the street corners so you can't actually get up the kerb after crossing the road. My new tactic is just to walk right through them saying 'Excuse me' rather loudly in an uber assertive voice. Quite clearly I'm only confident enough to do this when I'm wearing my sunglasses. The other group of people are the dawdlers who work four across having a nice chat and seem unable to work in a straight line.

Today has been gloriously sunny and warm. Everyone is smiling. Manhattan just looks stunning with the buildings against a clear blue sky. I think I have found my spiritual home in the form of the 'Magnolia Bakery' which is near Radio City. They make all their cakes by hand on the premises (you can watch them) and you can buy a whole range of cakes, slices and the most beautiful iced cupcakes. I ended up with a slice of choclate cake with vanilla buttercream icing, key lime cheesecake and a double fudge brownie for Paul so he wouldn't feel left out. The most satisfying bit is that they put each bit of cake in paper in it's own little box. How satisfying is that? Happiness is definitely the Magnolia Bakery and I'm going to go there often as I can!

Boy Wonder and I have had two trips to the playground today (and he is there again right now!!) and I nearly made a friend but she had quite bad body odour so I had to move away. Boy Wonder loves going to the playground as it's full of small children. He spends the whole time pointing out the helicopters and aeroplanes to the children. He is becoming quite socialable and now waves at everyone whenever we leave a lift!

Really looking forward to the weekend. Paul has a half day and we have nothing planned for the whole weekend other than enjoying the sun. We are going to spend my birthday in Central park and Paul has even booked us a table for lunch. Can't wait! x

2 comments:

  1. Glad you are getting some good weather,on our our news there has been some serious flooding in Long Island and Obeone has declared a state of emergency in that state.Dont let Tyler near too many cakes. Dad xxx.

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/women/the_way_we_live/article7081420.ece

    ReplyDelete